Monday, September 2, 2013

What's Left of My Memory...


Over a year ago Sky's the Limit went to Vanuatu for what is still regarded by our cre as the trip of a lifetime.

The dress code was particularly challenging for a Westerner, especially in 35 degree heat and high humidity.  I'm use to shorts and a tank top if it's hot but in Vanuatu the thighs and shoulders on a woman are their attractive places so you don't go around showing them off!  Boobs were not such a big deal, we saw lots of those (think soft National Geographic). Needless to say, I melted in knee length shorts and medium sleeved shirts. For such a hot place, I was also surprised by how little I saw people drinking water.  It's not like elsewhere in the world where everyone is walking around with their water bottles (that they're about to throw out... only to further pollute the oceans and top up the land fills).


Day 4 - February 15th, The Jon Frum Festival.  

Photograph by Suzanne Teresa

Photograph by Suzanne Teresa

We were up early to take a truck to a small village behind the Volcano to celebrate the Jon Frum Festival.  Jon Frum centres around an American man who crash landed in a plane on the Island during World War II. He learned the language and encouraged the people to dance their dances, sing their songs, and practice their beliefs (during this time, there was and still is a strong influence from Missionaries). The head of the ceremony wears Jon's military attire to honour him.  I think they worship Jon because he gave the people back their culture & customs and because he said he would return with goods from America for the people.  It was very interesting to witness an ancient culture praying and waiting for an American man named Jon, from America, to come back to the Island of Tanna... And they are still waiting.  Sound familiar-ish?  Also surprising to see such an enormous American flag in the middle of one of the most remote places on earth.

Their outfits were colourful and they entertained us for hours upon hours with their pig roast, dancing and music!!  The enthusiasm, excitement and concentration on the faces of the people was priceless. 

dancers from Jon Frum Festival


dancers

Photo: Suzanne Teresa




Photo: Suzanne Teresa

Photo: Suzanne Teresa



The only unfortunate thing about this day was that Levi came down with the flu, a strong flu!! He was feeling rough so he went with the first truck back to town after toughing it out for a few hours. ... Again, no water to be found anywhere!!! Joni and I were also starting to feel queazy and were not far behind Levi. We all got back just in time.

Photography Suzanne Teresa


Day 5

Was a write OFF - Join, our key videographer, & both Levi & I were sick ... Levi was extremely sick though with a fierce fever and today was his day to do the nature hike and learn how to make some of the popular foods.  We had to cancel everything we had planned but not having phones made it difficult to spread the word that we couldn't make it. Needless to say, we disappointed ourselves and the others we made plans with as we couldn't be without a toilet until about 4pm... even then, it was risky!


Day 6 

Back on our feet and not wanting to venture too far from home cause Levi was still running a fever, he managed to do a mini nature walk to learn a little about the local food and their way of life. I found Tanna Island extremely interesting in the way that nothing was 'mine' or 'yours'... fruits and veggie's grow naturally, horses roam around wild and everything on the Island is for everyone. No one is hungry and no one is homeless.  After going to the airport late afternoon to see the Doctors off, we had a chat with the locals about their way of life on Tanna Island. They confirmed what we had been told that they live without want of anything - the Island give them everything they need.  The Volcano is a strong source of spirituality, the ground provides food & the shelter, and the streams water to drink, laundry clothes & bath.


Day 7

A good earthquake while packing the gear & getting ready for the day shook us all up, literally.  I felt the structure we were under start shaking so I ran out from under it, while everyone else just stood there looking around, haha!  I wasn't about to wait around and discuss what was going on. I guess this is a natural occurrence, being on a Island with an highly active Volcano.

Besides standing on the edge of a Volcano while rocks are raining down on my head, our trip by boat to the Blue Caves was SURREAL!!  I pinched myself a few times to be sure I wasn't dreaming.  Once this location is discovered, I can see Hollywood all over it.  There are no roads out to the part of the Island where the caves are, so you must go by boat.  Unfortunately I didn't bring a water proof camera so I can't visually share my experience with you. Just trust me, it's worth seeing at least once in your life. We jumped out of the boat into the warm ocean and swam towards what appeared like a rock wall. We had to dive just a few feet under water and it was completely open, like the wall just disappeared once it came into contact with the ocean... the best part of the underwater cave was the huge hole in the ceiling that let the light come streaming in. There were some majestic moments where the light beamed in mixing with the foggy air which was whisking away water particles from the tides crashing against the rocks and dome of the cave. I really felt like I was in my own movie.  Another moment I loved was learning how to float for the first time!  I'm guessing I accomplished this because the waters salt levels are so high, it make the body more buoyant.  I just loved every second that I was there.

Thank you to Dr. Dave Hepburn & Dr. Rob Sealey and to our amazing crew - Arwen Hunter, Joni Marcolin, Jonathan Bartlett, & Levi Sampson for an unforgettable adventure!! 










Thanks for checking out my blog ;-) My latest photos are on my website at www.suzanneteresa.com

No comments: